At present, our daily activities on the computer are becoming Internet-based. Web applications gradually occupy the desktop application space. It is compulsory for any small business organization to become a website. Those who know the programming might be able to create websites for their own organization. However, the costs of creating a website for others, but not least. Joomla content management system.
To satisfy this demand of the era, Joomla is a software that can create a complete website without any programming and technical knowledge. Joomla is a content management system (CMS). Content means text, pictures, words, videos etc. One of the many features of Joomla is its easy accessibility and the ability to create any kind of website with it. With Joomla, it is easy to create online magazines, newspaper websites, websites of government / non-government organizations, small and big business websites, different educational institutions, personal and family websites, starting from E-commerce website. Above all, Joomla is open source which can be used completely free of charge.
Free Joomla can be downloaded from www.joomla.org website. Joomla has been created with PHP and MySQL So before installing Joomla, a web server must be installed on the computer. A popular web server software is XAMPP. The complete instructions for installing Joomla on the computer can be found from help.joomla.org.
Joomla content management system
Although Joomla is commonly referred to as content management system, Joomla usage is not limited to information management only. It can be converted to any type of website by adding various extensions. An extension is an additional program that gives new features to Joomla! These extensions are made by Joomla users, which can be downloaded for free from extensions.joomla.org. It’s easy to add a new extension to Joomla, just like installing a software on an operating system. Extension zip file is uploaded from admin panel. Joomla supports five types of extensions: components, modules, plugins, templates, and languages.
1) Component: Joomla is a web application, and a component is another application inside Joomla. Components are built based on Joomla’s API. If you imagine Joomla as a Windows operating system, Joomla’s “Content Component” can be called Microsoft Word. But in the operating system where multiple programs can be run simultaneously, only one component loads in Joomla page. The component completes the original tasks of that page.
2) Module: Modules provide additional features to Joomla, outside the component. Modules are usually used for a specific purpose, such as displaying menus, lists, banners, etc.
3) Plugins: Plugins have different uses. But plugins are usually used to increase the power of a component. For example, with the help of the TinyMCE text editor plugin, a lot can be written in the same way as Microsoft Word.
4) Template: The template provides a site layout and design. The designs made with HTML / CSS can be easily converted into Joomla Templates by following a specific procedure. Joomla’s free templates are available on different sites, which can be installed on the site with just one click. Joomla’s free templates are available on www.joomla24.com, www.freetemplatehome.com, www.joomlatp.com.
5) Language: Joomla is available in more than 60 languages including Bengali. It is also very easy to change the language to add other extensions like Joomla.
The Joomla Extension website currently offers 6670 Extensions. Let’s get acquainted with some of these popular extensions.
VirtueMart: With the help of the VerkumText extension, Joomla can be converted to a full e-commerce site. With its powerful admin panel, there are numerous categories, products, orders, discounts, and customer management. Verkamert supports almost all popular payment and shipping modules. It can be downloaded from www.virtuemart.net site as a separate extension of Joomla or installed in Joomla pre-installed.
JCE: This is a powerful tectonic editor based on TinyMCE editor. This editor includes an advanced administration panel for managing media, file and link management, plugin support, and editing settings.
Community Builder: This extension enhances Joomla’s user management system and changes Joomla to the community website. The main features of this are – Adding an additional field to profile, Advanced registration method, User list etc.
AllVideos: This is an essential audio/video management extension. It can run almost all types of media files. As well as popular sites like Youtube, Metacafe, Vimeo, Joomla could be added to the video.
Phoca Gallery: This is a nice and beautiful photo gallery. This component can show the picture through the slideshow. It has all the features of a modern photo gallery.
JoomFish: This is an essential extension for creating websites in multiple languages. With this, any content of Joomla can be easily translated.
Kunena: This is Joomla’s main forum component. It is very easy to create community-based forum sites. The extension has been downloaded eight and a half times in the last two years, which proves its popularity easily.
ChronoForms: This is an extraordinary extension for creating any type of form. A form can be created in this drag-and-drop method with this component. It can also be used free of charge like other extensions, but there is a link to the developer’s site under each form. The developer can move the link with a small fee.
Extended Menu: Creating a CSS based perspective menu with this module. The sub-menu can also be made easily within the menu.
JComments: This extension can add commenting features to the site. This is an Ajax-based comment system which supports Smiles, BBCode and Avatar.
For Freelancers, Joomla may be the main source of income. Joomla also has good credentials for outsourcing jobs to domestic clients. Local e-commerce platforms have already been created with the help of different banks in our country. In this case, Joomla can be easily met the needs of eCommerce websites. On the other hand, Jumla’s work is available in almost all marketplaces online. Apart from this, there is an outsourcing marketplace named Joomla users (www.joomlancers.com) where only Joomla work is available.